When you own a home, one of the biggest perils to your property and family members is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered nearly $1.6 billion in losses due to unintentional or negligent fires. The terrible truth is fires are unpredictable and are frequently avoidable -- with a little knowledge of where to start. And, luckily, you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that sends you aid immediately should you undergo an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In New Haven?
Fires can happen anywhere at any time in the home. However, you can lessen the threat of fire if you take countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in New Haven. Cooking-related fires most often begin when the kitchen is left neglected during meal preparation. Water used on a grease fire can quickly spread a flame that would otherwise be easily handled.
- Candles: Passing out in an area with a lit candle is problematic, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain on fire if left near a window, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association approximates that more than 7,600 houses were damaged due to candle-related accidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or poorly set up lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Don't overload your outlets or plug any object in with bare wiring. If for any reason you hear a pop or catch a whiff of smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to investigating.
- Space Heaters: Avoid coiled space heaters because waste, like dust bunnies, old papers, or covers can find their way in and catch fire. However, you need to make sure to oversee fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of operation.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 home fires started by cigarettes, cigars, and pipes. If you have tobacco products in the house, make sure they never take a nap with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully snuff out your cigarette prior to placing it into a trash can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When It Senses A Fire
If a fire does break out, you have to have a speedy detection system to inform your spouse and children before it gets serious. A common smoke alarm is adequate but can only alert you if smoke is abundant. An advanced fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's pair with your home security network -- is powerful enough to discover both smoke and rising temperatures and has more features to ensure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has many methods by which it can inform you of a fire. Your alarms can inform you with a high-decibel tone and a notification to your smartphone. Then your 24/7 monitoring experts will contact the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you can't speed home when a fire blazes, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent will facilitate communication between you and emergency personnel.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in New Haven should never be written off, but you can rest assured if you install a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the safety sensors you need with a state-of-the-art home security system. Call (203) 402-8863 or send in the form below to get your home security system.